Millwork Sales Specialist- Michigan CitySeptember 12, 2018
4 Things to Know About Stock, Custom, & Semi-Custom Kitchen CabinetsAugust 23, 2019
You spend a lot of time in your kitchen—it may even be the hub of your home. It’s where you gather to cook, eat, drink your morning coffee, do homework, and socialize with your guests. More than any room in your home, a kitchen needs to be both practical and functional. With a little planning, it can be beautiful, too. Here are six things to think about when planning your perfect kitchen or considering a remodel.
1. Step One: Do Your Research
- Get inspired. Make a Pinterest or Houzz board of ideas and study your favorite magazines and websites for tips and styles that might work in your home. When out and about, visit installed kitchens or displays in person so you can get a feel for what you like. You might also visit an open house home tour, a builder’s Parade of Homes, or the Von Tobel showrooms.
- Determine scope. Is your project a “down to the studs” remodel or more of a facelift? Also, determine whether you can do some of the work yourself, or if you’ll need the help of professional contractors.
- Look into financing. Do you qualify for a home equity or improvement loan? What financing options are available for cabinetry and appliances? At Von Tobel, we provide a number of options, including our Synchrony credit card.
2. Step Two: Determine Wants Versus Needs
How do you use your kitchen, and how does it need it to function in your home? Consider how often you use your kitchen appliances and what features you need to suit your lifestyle. Also consider all of your dishes, pots and pans, and assorted gadgets. What’s the best storage solution so they’re on hand when you need them? When considering appliances, try to be realistic—do you really need the top of the line? It’s best to go with the value/price combination you know you’ll get the most use out of.
3. Step Three: Set Project Goals
Start planning your perfect kitchen by outlining everything you want to accomplish. Break your bigger goals down into manageable tasks and steps. Start your goal list exactly where the project will begin, and add tasks to your list in the order you want to complete them.
4. Step Four: Set a Timeline
Once you write down your goals, you can create a timeline for completing them. Bear in mind that a kitchen renovation is a long term project that can take months. Big projects like this stay on track when you keep to a milestone checklist, so it’s important to make a plan you can stick to. Not every timeline will be perfect, of course, and unforeseen circumstances can always throw you off schedule. But creating a goal-related timeline can go a long way in helping your remodel go smoothly.
5. Step Five: Determine a Budget
This is probably the most daunting step in the entire project. A kitchen renovation can be a major expense, so it’s important to keep your budget in mind when making decisions. It’s a good idea to be conservative and add a 10-20% cushion for unplanned expenses. You’ll also need to factor in labor and materials costs. Remember, you don’t have to spend a fortune to make your kitchen look like a million bucks.
6. Step Six: Gather Materials
This is the fun part! You’ll want to pick out your biggest items first, starting with your new appliances, then choose cabinets and countertops. For flooring, consider whether you’ll go with ceramic tile, hardwood, or laminate. Lastly, pick your complementary products and accessories, including sinks, faucets and lighting fixtures.
If you’re ready to start planning your perfect kitchen, you have a lot of decisions to make! They make it look easy on TV, but we understand that undertaking a kitchen renovation can be intimidating. Our expert designers are on hand to work with you from concept to completion, pulling your ideas and vision into a kitchen you’ll love to live in. Visit our showroom, meet with a designer, and get inspired today!
Read about what to consider in choosing new kitchen cabinets in a related blog post.